Oliver Twist Estate Winery, established in 2006, is just South of Oliver and in the heart of the Black Sage Bench. Owner/ Winemaker Gina Fernandes Harfman is the fourth generation from her family to sink her hands into South Okanagan soil.The hands-on approach favoured by Gina ensures that the highest quality vinifera grapes are grown in the 14-acre vineyard.
Kerner lover’s recipe
We love a good roast chicken dinner. This Moroccan-inspired dish with honey and cinnamon is fantastic with our Kerner’s flavours of apple, summer stone fruits, honey, a touch of sweetness and baking spice finish.
Moroccan- Style Roast Chicken
1/4 C butter (melted) 1/4 C honey
1 t ground cinnamon 1/4 t turmeric
1 4.75-5 lb whole chicken (rinsed, patted dry)
1. Position rack low in oven and preheat to 400F
2. Whisk butter, honey, cinnamon & turmeric
in small bowl, reserving 1/4 of the mix
3. Brush the chicken with the honey butter, then season with salt & pepper
4. Bake until the thigh reaches 165-170F (usually 1.5-2 hours)
5. Cover with foil if browning too quickly. Serve with reserve honey butter.
Spiced Couscous with Raisins and Almonds
2 C hot water 3/4 C raisins
4 T butter, divided
3 T Oliver Twist Kerner wine 1/2 t saffron threads (optional) 1 C Couscous
1 medium onion, diced
3/4 C sliced, toasted almonds 2 T ground cinnamon
1. Soak raisins in hot water 15 minutes to soften, then drain water into a large sauce pan (reserve raisins)
2. Add 2 T butter, Kerner, saffron (optional) to the pan with the water, and bring to a boil
3. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand for about 15 minutes to absorb the liquid
4. Melt 2 T butter, add onion and cook until translucent
5. Mix the onion, raisins, almonds & cinnamon into the couscous
6. Add salt & pepper to taste, and serve warm with the roast chicken.
Pair with Oliver Twist Estate Winery Kerner, roast vegetables, and your favourite people. Cheers!