Look for a wine with fresh acidity and aromatics to balance the spice found in Asian cuisine. A BC grown Rosé or Riesling would pair perfectly with these turkey dumplings. Recipe courtesy of the Turkey Farmers of Canada.
- 1 lb. (450g) ground turkey
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped shitakki mushroom caps, or button mushrooms
- ½ cup (125 mL) sliced green onions
- ¼ cup (60 mL) sliced carrot
- 3 cups (750 mL) watercress or baby spinach, wilted and squeezed dry
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 60 store-bought, round dumpling wrappers
- ½ cup (125 mL) water for steaming and sealing dumplings
- ¼-½ cup (60-125 mL) vegetable oil for frying
SOY CITRUS DIPPING SAUCE
- ½ cup (125 mL) low-sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup (60 mL) fresh orange juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) toasted sesame oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) minced garlic
- ¼ cup (60 mL) chili oil
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry chili flakes
- 1 green onion, finely sliced
- In a large bowl, gently combine raw ground turkey, soy sauce, garlic, shiitaki mushrooms, green onions, grated carrot.
- Wash watercress and then wilt in a covered skillet on low heat.
- The residual water on the cress is all you need for this step.
- Remove watercress from pan and rinse with cold water, then squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- Chop watercress after wilting and add to the bowl with the other ingredients along with ginger and egg whites and combine evenly.
- On a large, clean surface, lay out dumpling wrappers, 10 at a time.
- Have a small bowl with water handy for sealing the dumplings.
- Using a teaspoon, place one slightly heaping teaspoon of turkey filling to the middle of each wrapper.
- Using your finger, take a small amount of water and run it along the outside edge of the wrapper.
- Hold the dumpling in one hand, fold in half and press the sides together, making sure that all of the turkey filling is encased and not poking out along the sealed edge.
- Place the dumplings on a large tray until ready to cook.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large skillet (1 Tbsp (15 mL) at a time).
- Add dumplings, 6 at a time and brown evenly on both sides (2-3 minutes).
- Add a drizzle of water from the bowl to the hot pan and quickly place a lid over the pan to steam the dumplings.
- Cook another 3 minutes.
- Serve with Soy Citrus Dipping Sauce.
SOY CITRUS DIPPING SAUCE
- Add all of the ingredients and whisk together.
- Pour into an appropriate bowl for dipping.