Apples, vanilla and butter are all characteristics found in Chardonnay and are all flavors that will be found in this dish making an elegant and full-bodied BC Chardonnay the perfect choice for this creamy fall soup. The cream and tart apples will balance the weight and crisp fruit found in the wine creating a harmonious wine and food pairing.
- 1 ea Onion – medium dice
- 2 ea Stalks Celery
- 2 ea Cloves Garlic
- 2 pounds Parsnips – peeled, medium dice
- Vegetable stock or water (enough to cover parsnips and apples)
- 4 ea Apples – peeled and quartered
- 1 ea Bay Leaf
- Oil to Sauté (as needed)
- 4 ounces Cream
- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
- Sauté onion, garlic, celery
- Add parsnips, sauté 1 minute
- Add apple , stock and bay leaf
- Bring to boil, simmer 30 minutes until parsnips and apples are soft
- Remove bay leaf and blend until smooth
- Brown Butter
- Little Qualicum Rathtrevor Cheese Shortbread
RATHTREVOR SHORT BREAD
- 1 1/2 cups Flour
- 1 tablespoon Icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons Chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup Rathtrevor cheese
- In a food processor combined flour, sugar, salt and butter. Pulse until pea shaped.
- Add parsley and cheese. Mix until dough forms.
- Wrap and refrigerate for 4 hour or until well chilled.
- Cut into cubes, place cubes on a baking sheet and place in freezer to freeze for 25 minutes
- When frozen bake for 20 minutes at 350 degreeses or until golden brown.
Credit: Recipe and images provided by Chef Bradford Boisvert of Amuse on the Vineyard, Vancouver Island