Passionate about BC Wine like we are?
Check out the job listings below to see some of the exciting opportunities with our member wineries.
TASTING ROOM ASSOCIATES | SPERLING VINEYARDS
TASTING ROOM ASSOCIATES
Tasting Room Associates
x 3 Hires – 30-40 hours | x 2 Hires 15-20 hours
Sperling Vineyards is a small family-run winery that takes great care to produce wines of elegance and authenticity. We are the oldest heritage vineyard in the Okanagan, and are passionate about sharing our wines and our history with our customers.
Our loyal customers love to bring their friends and family in for tastings; to share the experience with them. We are looking for a friendly, knowledgable, reliable person for our tasting room. The hours are part-time to full-time over the busy season. Weekends are a requirement.
We would love to have you on our team!
As an associate, you will be responsible for:
Extending courteous and efficient customer service; assisting customers with wine selections and food pairings
Ensuring that the store is well stocked, clean and visually appealing
Assisting the management team with various store operations
Responsible for opening and closing procedures
Working in a safe manner at all times
To be successful in this role, you must possess:
At least 1 year experience in a similar role, preferably within the wine industry
Genuine interest in wine, natural wine, organics, biodynamics and sustainability & desire to learn more
Strong communication skills
An ability to approach customers and promote product
Strong sense of initiative and self-motivation
Ability to work in a team environment and form strong rapport with co-workers and customers
Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Flexibility to work evenings and weekends
Serving it Right certification
Please email: Jill at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting Expiry: April 15, 2020
TASTING ROOM ASSOCIATE | OLIVER TWIST ESTATE WINERY
TASTING ROOM ASSOCIATE
Oliver Twist Estate Winery is seeking to add a few amazing personalities to our tasting room to make our 2020 season better than ever!
A visit to the Black Sage Bench can double as a trip down memory lane at Oliver Twist Estate Winery, a family-owned, boutique winery, just south of Oliver, established in 2006. We craft fruit-forward, luscious whites and full, juicy reds, in addition to sparkling, late harvest and port-style wines from our small, 14-acre estate vineyard. At Oliver Twist, we warmly welcome, educate, and advise wine lovers about how to enjoy expanding their wine journey and cellar.
The Tasting Room Associate position reports to the General Manager and will be a seasonal position for 2020, starting in May and ending in October.
We are looking to grow our business with teammates who have a passion for wine and hospitality, and have fun sharing that passion. Successful candidates will have an interest in using or acquiring wine knowledge. They will be calm under pressure and able to handle a fast-paced sales environment. It is important to us that we find colleagues we can trust, who are eager to support their teammates and the business, and want to have fun at work every day!
- Greeting guests, making them feel welcome, and creating a memorable experience
• Acquiring knowledge of winery and its wines
• Pouring wines for tasting, while observing Serving It Right standards
• Encouraging customers to become Twist Club members
• Processing transactions, packaging wine & merchandise (operating cash register)
• Responsible for cash reconciliation at the start and end of each day
• Assisting with merchandising and stocking of retail items and wines
• Maintaining cleanliness of glassware, indoor and outdoor facilities
• Assisting with special events and representing the winery at outside functions as needed
• Filling outside orders, as needed
• Acting as a local ambassador by providing tourist information
• Other tasks, as required
• 19+ with Serve it Right Certification
• Ability to lift 40lb
• Wine-related experience and knowledge, or strong willingness to learn quickly
• Ability to work 8 hours on feet and perform multiple physical tasks
• High standards of customer service
• Computer-familiar (especially with Point-Of-Sale systems)
• Excellent oral communication skills and ability to manage priorities and multitask
• Positive attitude towards teammates, guests, and difficult/busy situations
• Professional appearance and demeanor
• Ability to understand and follow written and verbal instructions
• Wine education an asset, but not required (e.g. WSET)
• Ability to operate a forklift an asset, but not required
Wages dependent on past experience and education. Please apply via email with resume and cover letter to email@example.com. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest; only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. We will consider applications received before April 10, 2020.
Posting Expiry: April 10, 2020
TASTING BAR EDUCATOR | INTERSECTION ESTATE WINERY
TASTING BAR EDUCATOR | March/April through to November, with options to work through the winter
Intersection Estate Winery in Oliver is hiring sales staff for our tasting bar.
We are looking for enthusiastic individuals who are comfortable dealing with the public. At Intersection we pride ourselves on being welcoming, unpretentious, but most of all educational. Applicants do not require prior experience in the wine industry, but they MUST have an interest in wine and a willingness to learn. Customer service skills are the foremost requirements.
Those hired will be expected to:
– Provide a welcoming, rich, and informative experience for guests
– Pour wine samples
– Clean and maintain the tasting bar interior and exterior
– Stock inventory and create sales displays
– Open and close the tasting room
– Use the POS system and handle cash
As well, Intersection is a small and holistic operation, meaning that each member of our team tends to do a little bit of work in every sector of the industry. As such, tasting bar employees may be offered the opportunity to:
– Assist in production (tank and barrel work)
– Assist in crushing the grapes during harvest
– Assist in vineyard prep (pruning, counting bunches)
– Assist in harvesting grapes
– Assist in bottling the wines
Applicants should ideally have:
– A passion for wine and the interest to further their knowledge of the industry
– Experience with customer service and sales, and digital POS systems
– Ability to lift 40lb cases of wine
– Serving it Right Certificate (and must be 19+ years of age)
– Willingness to take on flexible tasks extending beyond the tasting bar
– Capacity to work independently and balance multiple tasks
– Formal wine training not required, but a desire to learn is necessary
If you’re passionate about wine and are fascinated by the BC wine industry, Intersection might be a perfect place for you to work.
Apply to: Moss at firstname.lastname@example.org
Posting Expiry: May 1, 2020
TASTING ROOM ASSOCIATE | MOON CURSER VINEYARDS
Winery Tasting Room Associate
Moon Curser Vineyards is currently looking to fill a part time seasonal position of Tasting Room Associate. We are looking for an Okanagan wine fan to work with our friendly team of long-term staff from approximately May till October for an average of about 3 to 4 shifts per week (there is some flexibility around these requirements).
We offer a competitive hourly rate (will vary based on experience); flexible and welcoming work environment and employee discount on Moon Curser wine.
We are looking for energetic individuals who love interacting with people. We like to share our wines with our visitors with warmth, passion and a lack of pretension in a welcoming, informal environment. Although we are informal, providing professional top-notch customer service is key in our busy tasting room that is open 7 days a week.
Why work for Moon Curser Vineyards?
Moon Curser Vineyards is a small, family owned and operated winery located on the Osoyoos East Bench at the southernmost tip of British Columbia’s Okanagan Valley. We are known for producing award winning wines from grape varieties not commonly found elsewhere in British Columbia such as Tannat and Touriga Nacional.
We were named Best Performing Small Winery in Canada at the 2019 National Wine Awards of Canada which has brought many new customers to our tasting room. We are currently looking for a Tasting Room Associate to join our fabulous team of long-term staff. We pride ourselves on making delicious wines, providing excellent wine tasting experiences to our customers, and also creating a professional, flexible and welcoming work environment for our employees.
- Educating visitors on our award-winning wines, wine club, events, winery and guest house.
- Warmly greeting guests and providing them with an exceptional and memorable tasting experience tailored to the guest’s knowledge level
- Handling transactions of wine and retail items
- Representing the winery at periodic off-site events/farmers markets
- Stocking shelves and tasting bar
- Keeping working areas clean, secure, organized and clutter free
- Maintaining the cleanliness of hospitality areas including the tasting room, restroom and walking areas
- Assisting with preparing and shipping orders if required
- Assisting with special events or guest house service if required
- Other tasks as required
- Prior experience in hospitality, retail or sales
- Basic knowledge of wine or a keen interest in wine
- Formal wine education is an asset
- Ability to work days, weekends/holidays and on occasion some evenings. A flexible schedule is an asset.
- Second language is an asset
- Excellent customer service skills
- Excellent communication and multi-tasking skills
- Ability to work in a team and independently
- Comfort with computers (for our basic point of sale software)
- Serving it Right Certificate (can be completed upon being hired)
- At least 19 years of age
- Must be able to meet physical requirements of the job. These include but are not limited to:
- lifting up to 50lbs, while stationary or navigating stairs or equipment
- standing for extended periods of time
How to Apply: If the above sounds like you, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Tasting Room Associate” in the subject line, and specify within your cover letter any availability constraints.
Posting Expiry: June 30, 2020
JUNIOR WINEMAKER | GRIZZLI WINERY
Junior Winemaker Position
Grizzli Winery is looking to hire a junior winemaker, who constantly pushes themselves to achieve excellence and looks for innovative solutions. It’s perfect for someone who wants to succeed and grow into a Head Winemaker role.
- Assist in controlling the quality of our wines
- Maintain and upkeep records as required for government regulations and corporate requirements (comply with regulations such as VQA Standards & WorksafeBC)
- Supervise maintenance and repair of equipment
- Assist and manage budget for production activities
- Coordinate harvests: regular and icewine
- Execute vintage plan for each varietals and wines
- Set production schedules in line with capabilities of the facility and needs of the market
- Work collaboratively with Viticulture, Marketing, and other related areas of business.
- Demonstrate leadership through sound decisions, high ethical standards, values and behavior
- Order and manage inventory levels of supplies and materials used in production of wine
- Other projects as assigned
Physical Requirements & Work Environment
This position works in the winery with exposure to cellar equipment and machinery. Occasional work outdoors and in the vineyard will also be required which may be hot in the summer; cold and wet in the fall to spring.
- Ability to stand, walk, or sit for extended periods of time
- The ability to lift and/or move up to 55lbs
- Exposed to loud sounds and working near moving equipment
Leadership & Personnel
- Maintain safe and clean working environment by conduction safety inspections and ensuring work place is properly sanitized
- Train, supervise, motivate and develop production team – providing feedback, coaching and discipline
Experience & Education
- Minimum 3 years industry hands-on winemaking experience in table wine production and knowledge of practical and technical aspects of the winemaking process. Experience with production of icewine is an asset but not required.
- Practical knowledge of cellar operations, harvest, crush, fermentation process and mechanical aptitude
- Vineyard Assessment skills
- Forklift operation experience and certification
- Attention to detail, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Highly motivated to learn and discover our viticulture region
- Leader and team player, able to work and interact with people of various cultures, backgrounds and roles
- Must be willing to work on a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends as needed
- Functional knowledge of computer software (Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Valid Passport and BC driver’s license
We appreciate all applications for the position, however only selected candidates will be contacted for interviews. Please do not call.
To apply: email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume.
PASTRY CHEF | QUAILS’ GATE ESTATE WINERY
Full Time Opportunity
Family owned and operated since 1989, Quails’ Gate Winery is one of Canada’s foremost estate wine producers. We farm more than 200 acres and are dedicated to crafting outstanding quality wines with a focus on Chardonnay and Pinot Noir. Our team strives to deliver exceptional guest experiences in our award-winning Old Vines Restaurant, at our luxurious lake front accommodations and with every estate tour and wine tasting.
The Old Vines Restaurant at Quails’ Gate offers an excellent venue to build or continue your career in the culinary arts. Opportunities exist for advancement and in gaining knowledge of pairing wines with the bounty of ingredients we are fortunate to have in the Okanagan Valley. Our belief in farm to table cookery pairs well with our family business values and philosophy.
The successful candidate will assume the position year-round as a Pastry Chef. This position is responsible for managing the Pastry station and overseeing 1-2 Pastry Cooks at any given time. The Pastry Chef is responsible for production of all breads & pastry items, all plated desserts and special occasion items. Pastry Chef duties include but are not limited to line service, staff leadership and inspiration, inventory and ordering. The Pastry Chef works amongst and in support of the Culinary brigade where our amazing array of seasonal produce inspires.
Applicants must have successfully completed a formal culinary training program or have equivalent years of experience in the industry. Applicants must have 2+ years of experience in a similar leadership role, preferably in a fast-paced, fine dining establishment, demonstrate excellent line cooking skills and be up to date on current menu trends.
If you are seeking a position with a dynamic winery intent on establishing itself as Canada’s leading premium brand, please forward your resume with covering letter by email to Human Resources at email@example.com.
Posting expires when job is filled.
PART TIME CASUAL LABOUR | ROCKY CREEK WINERY
PART TIME CASUAL LABOUR
Travel Required: Yes
Level/Salary Range: $14/hr
Position Type: Part-time
HR Contact: Linda Holford
Will Train Applicant(s): Landscaping, picking or vineyard experience
Job Starts: Immediately
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Work with the vineyard manager on tasks specific for each part of the season
- Garden clean up and weeding
- Work with the winemaker for jobs such as bottling
- Manually watering as needed
- Jobs are based on tasks needed to be completed
- Mowing the lawn and weed trimming
- Sample tasks, tucking vines, shoot thinning
- Digging up and splitting plants
- This position is necessary for the harvest season for picking and goes off and on from September until Late October
- Pruning trees
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS PREFERRED SKILLS
- Some landscaping knowledge
- Ability to use equipment such as mowers, weed trimmers
- Ability to lift 40 lbs min.
- Willing to work rain or shine in outdoor weather
- No back issues
- Good physical condition
This job is a casual part time position. We would like to have you for the entire season from now until at least harvest time.
This position could also work into the next year for winter pruning etc. You will be lead by our daughter who has graduated with a wine degree and is managing the vineyard. Rocky Creek would like to train you for the entire season and then you would be notified which times you will be needed. So it would be on a work schedule and the days would be full time but the work would not be needed on a full time basis, just what each tasks need to be done. So this position would have some flexibility.
Applicants please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
TASTING ROOM STAFF | ROCKY CREEK WINERY
TASTING ROOM STAFF
Location: Tasting Room
Travel Required: Yes
Level/Salary Range: Dependent on experience
Position Type: Employee
HR Contact: Linda Holford
Will Train Applicant(s): Yes
Job Starts: Immediately
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Tasks are primarily in the tasting room; however, the job includes one day a week for the farmers markets and also
opportunities to pour at tasting events and liquor stores. The markets require that we set up and take down–a tent and unpack
the cases of wine, plus marketing materials.
- Manage the tasting room during the day to meet the standards of the winery. Set up for sales and inventory for the Start of
Day. Ensure the room has stock and supplies, etc. Handle all aspects of the tasting room and winery while people arrive.
- Pour wine samples to consumers. Ensure that you have Serving It Right Certificate on hand. You will be responsible for the sales
of the tasting room and ensuring that the customers have such a great experience they purchase the wines. Set up a case club
membership and ensure people join the newsletter. Ensure all aspects of sales and marketing are done for sales of the winery.
There will be targets set so you can be aware of expectations.
- Handle any sales people, marketing ideas and social media, while working in the tasting room.
- Promote the outdoor area for food and wine sales. Come up with innovative ideas to manage this area also. Ensure the
outdoor area looks good and the hanging baskets are watered and deadheaded.
- Record all sales at the end of the day and ensure that everything is reconciled and ready to go for the next day.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Working knowledge of sales and marketing. Serving It Right Certificate (can be done once hired) Wine Knowledge and some
previous experience working in a tasting room or something related.
- Ability to work alone
- Knowledge/interest of wines
- Experience in using mobile devices
- Computer knowledge
- Ability to lift 40 lbs min.
Do you really want to know what it’s like to run your own business? You will have the chance to be responsible for portions of the
business after a learning period. As a small winery, you get to experience many aspects of the business as you wish and become a
part of the team with team targets.
You will be representing the winery and its values usually alone. There is an expectation of meeting personal targets, dress code
and reliability. The ability to fit in with the image presented over the last 10 years is very important. We encourage your personality
to add to this image.
Applicants please email: email@example.com
BCWI Member Wineries can Submit Job Postings by…
Please include the following information:
- Job Title
- Job Description/requirements, etc.
- Information on where/who applicants should send info/application to
- Winery posting expiration date
- Submit your job opening to Info@WineBC.com