WORKING FOR YOU
Through collaborative advocacy, the WGBC represents the BC wine industry’s interests to government. We work with other industry stakeholders to establish direction on regulatory policy and other issues. We give government and specific ministries the information they need to formulate regulatory policies that create a healthy business climate for our members.
While the industry as a whole benefits from WGBC advocacy efforts, our focus is 100% BC VQA wine, and the issues voiced by our member wineries. Membership with Wine Growers British Columbia is a valued platform for many wineries to contribute to the evolution of our industry.
Our advocacy work is led by our President and CEO, Miles Prodan.
WGBC Advocacy Objectives
- Support of the Wine BC 2030 Long-Term Strategic Plan through the alignment of public policy with industry to ensure the ongoing quality and profitability of BC wine
- Increase direct and indirect employment in the sector by 4,600 jobs from the current 8,300 to 12,900
- Increase by $165 million revenue to Government through direct taxes paid through business income, payroll, property taxes and fees.
How do we do that?
- Expand market share and margins for BC wines
- Lower input costs
- Re-focus/consolidate and make better use of existing Government Programs
- Improve synergies with the BC LDB and private retailers
- Recognize the imperative of climate change and UNDRIP
Advocacy Strategic Objectives
For WGBC Fiscal Year 2023 (April 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023)
- Strengthen wine industry leadership
-Align strategic priorities and shared initiatives across industry organizations
-Increase WGBC member engagement and adoption of Wines of BC educational and marketing materials
- Align government advocacy efforts
-Improve transparency of BCLDB/LS variable markup Improve support and profile of 100% BC wines in existing government funding
-Rationalization of BCLDB wine distribution agreements
-Advocate for site-wide tasting licensing
-Update BC Wine Tourism Plan and funding
-See through objectives of WGBC Vineyard Resiliency Task Group and secure government support for BC industry
Click here for the full Fiscal Year 2023 Annual Operational Plan